We have finally made it to the last quarter of 2020. Only a few more months of what has seemed to be such a tough year on everyone all over the world. October is the start of many things such as, even cooler weather as we get further into fall, spooky season, fun month long movie marathons of the greatest Halloween movies, Halloween, and the start of the time where everyone is thankful. Here are some cool and interesting facts about October to start off a fun filled month!
- It is the second Autumn month.
- National Fire Prevention Week falls during the week of October 9 each year. It commemorates the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
- October in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to April in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The leaves of trees often begin to change their colors during this month.
- The World Series for Major League Baseball generally takes place during October.
- There are many health observances that have October as their national month. These include Healthy Lungs, Breast Cancer, Lupus, Spina Bifida, Blindness, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- The United Kingdom celebrates the 21st as Apple Day.
- October is the 10th month of the Gregorian calendar. Its name is derived from octo, Latin for “eight,” an indication of its position in the early Roman calendar.
- October ends on the same day of the week as February every year. Yes, February 2020 ended on a Saturday and so will October.
- More United States presidents were born in October than any other month; while only five first ladies were born in October.
- October’s birthstones are the tourmaline and opal
- In October 1925, The first working TV is tested by John Logie Baird
- The zodiac signs for October are Libra and Scorpio.
- People born in October are more likely to live to the age of a 100 – That’s according to the University of Chicago which found that babies born in the autumn months were more likely to live to the age of 100. One possible reason advanced is that they were likely not exposed to the seasonal infections or seasonal vitamin deficiency early in life.
- While the peak of hurricane season has passed, particularly for Caribbean Islands, Florida is the state most likely place to see a landfalling hurricane in this month.
- In October 1886, France presented the U.S. with the statute of Liberty.
- One of the world’s richest men, Bill Gates, was born on October 28, 1955.
- In October 1992, two Rastafarians in Jamaica lost their bid in the Supreme Court to bar the Prison Authority from cutting their locks and beards.
Oct 6 20