Happy St. Patrick’s Day from Alto9! Here we’ve compiled some fun facts to share at your office party and other festivities.
1. St. Patrick’s Day is a national holiday in Ireland. Most businesses are closed to enjoy the festivities.
2. More beer is consumed on St Patrick’s day than any other day with Guiness being one of the most popular brands.
3. It is believed St. Patrick was born in Britian in the late fourth century and is credited with bringing Christianity to the Irish people.
4. St. Patrick’s given name was Maewyn Succat.
5. Irish immigrants began observing the holiday in Boston in 1737 and the first St. Patrick’s Day parade was held in New York City in 1766.
6. Th color of St. Patrick’s day was originally blue. The color green only became associated with the big day after it was linked to the Irish independence movement in the late 18th century.
7. The City of Chicago has been celebrating Saint Patrick by dumping green dye into the Chicago River since 1962.
8. Many claim that the shamrock has meaning and represents faith, hope, love and luck.
9. There are No Female Leprechauns. If Irish folk tales are to be believed, the mystical beings are expressly male.
10. Corn beef and cabbage has become a traditional meal on St. Patrick’s day however it is actually an English dish.
Have a fun safe holiday!